Granite Spyre
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Houston Amtgard Group

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Roleplaying

Go down 
3 posters

How do you guys feel about it?
Its silly
Roleplaying Vote_lcap15%Roleplaying Vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
I wish more people would do it
Roleplaying Vote_lcap23%Roleplaying Vote_rcap
 23% [ 3 ]
I'd do it if more people did it
Roleplaying Vote_lcap31%Roleplaying Vote_rcap
 31% [ 4 ]
I love to do it
Roleplaying Vote_lcap8%Roleplaying Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
I dont like to roleplay
Roleplaying Vote_lcap0%Roleplaying Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
I'm apathetic about it
Roleplaying Vote_lcap8%Roleplaying Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
I want to start roleplaying
Roleplaying Vote_lcap15%Roleplaying Vote_rcap
 15% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
Galdoreth
Admin
Admin
Galdoreth

Roleplaying Empty
PostSubject: Roleplaying   Roleplaying Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 9:37 pm

Silvertip's comment about restoring roleplaying into the game caught my attention. therefore i would like you guys to answer the poll and comment about roleplaying

Poll is multiple choice.
Back to top Go down
https://granitespyre.board-directory.net
Juju

Roleplaying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying   Roleplaying Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 3:17 pm

I voted "It's Sillly" and "I'd do it if more people would do it".

I actually like to RP. I've played in lots of RPGs, and used to administer an immersive online roleplaying game. However, I don't usually go out to Amtgard for "the Roleplay", and don't really think Amtgard is really set up for the typical "roleplay" type of scenario.

In MOST RPGs, you have a person (or party) and as you perform quests, tasks, etc. you and your party progress and gain experience, skill, etc. However, Amtgard doesn't behave exactly like that. Levels are based on attendance (not tasks, experience, etc.); lives are basically meaningless (your character can't really 'die'); and skill level is largely based around the real, honest-to-god skill of the player (for instance, no matter how great a warrior Max pretends to be, I'll still pwnz0r him while roleplaying a simple farmer).

Thus, I prefer altering the style of Roleplay.

I think that the 'roleplay' done in Amtgard should be based around conflict generated by control over resources, conflicting missions and scenarios, personal goals, and most importantly: tough choices. Risk/reward systems would need to be set up. For example: in order to become a 5th level Scout, Max may have to capture Point A and hold it for 5 minutes. Point A is guarded by a handful of mercenaries lead by Galdoreth who has been hired to protect it by an Anti-Paladin played by Obanion. For every week Galdoreth manages to keep Max off the point, he and the mercenaries mange to eek out a living (and get to wear armor). If they loose the point, Max get's his 5th level scout abilities, and the ire of the Anti-Paladin (and no longer are allowed to wear armor).

Stuff like that.

I had an idea to run a choose-your-own adventure series of quests at the park, where each battlegame leads in to the next. Something which creates different endings and effects based on who wins which game.

A game like Amt-Risk is actually really pretty fun, and could be doable.

Ultimately, we just need the populace. 5-10 people can make a fun battlegame, but it's way more fun with bigger numbers.

Bring your friends, fools!
Back to top Go down
McShivity

McShivity

Roleplaying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying   Roleplaying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 12:11 pm

Rise dead thread rise!!

Ok so I have been LARPing for about 3 years now. I played amtguard back in the summer, but had to stop because of person and medical reasons. (Me and my buddy plan to come back out later this month)

Any back on topic... Right now my LARP of choice is Nero, ya its has it buggy, and cost a lot more, but if you love RP Texas has some great chapters. So for me to play a game like this and not RP is a little hard. So I am all up for RP. Just my two cents
Back to top Go down
Galdoreth
Admin
Admin
Galdoreth

Roleplaying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying   Roleplaying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 10:40 pm

personally i would definitely like to see more roleplaying in amtgard, i think it would make things funner, i have wanted to do it while at the park but since nobody else does it i feel as if everyone else would be annoyed or think im an idiot for it.

to juju's comment: i agree, but i must say if everyone else thinks of themselves as nobility or complete badasses, theyre retarded. lol. i think we should roleplay in the sense of how we speak and interact, not go on about ourselves or have "made up" titles and such.

for example:

Acceptable

Galdoreth: greetings friend, how are you on this fair day?
Maximus: I am rather well, excited to spar with our comrade Juju

No No's

Maximus: i am the heir to the duke of wales, i am the most feared fighter in all the land
Juju: *stabs maximus in less than 5 seconds* (thus proving Maximus in not the most feared fighter in the land)

if we do start to roleplay im sure we could set up props and stuff to make our park be more "in the mood" to roleplay =P
Back to top Go down
https://granitespyre.board-directory.net
McShivity

McShivity

Roleplaying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying   Roleplaying Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 11:19 am

I like you example, it pretty funny.

From what I have seen when you have everyone playing some type of badass, people stop playing the badass, because its now boring.
Back to top Go down
Juju

Roleplaying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying   Roleplaying Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Hey folks...

Just thought I'd toss this out:

In the new year, I want to start having weekly (or bi-weekly) running quests. Likely, each "Chapter" will be 4 weeks long, and each story arch will take your character from 1st to 2nd Level.

SO. We'll give that a go. What this means is: bring your friends. We need Warm Bodies to be able to do it. I'd like to shoot for 10 people, on average, at minimum. We can do that...we're close...but we need a few more.

Bring your friends. McShivity, get off your duff and actually, you know, come out. Wink
Back to top Go down
McShivity

McShivity

Roleplaying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying   Roleplaying Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 5:06 pm

I just started my shinny new job, and lead a crazy life before that. If you post what weekends you want to start your quest I can make arrangements to come out, but I can tell you that I have like one weekend a month free at the moment. And would need to move things around to make it to it.

Sorry some times life gets in the way of fun. Sad
Back to top Go down
Juju

Roleplaying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying   Roleplaying Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 5:08 pm

Send out your friends in your place, fool!

Also, I'll get with Thalen to update our Calendar and put it in line with the Kingdom calendar. There's talk of some Kingdom-wide quests happening, and at least one will be at our park.

SO. At the very least, try and come for that.
Back to top Go down
McShivity

McShivity

Roleplaying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying   Roleplaying Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 5:18 pm

My friend that wants to play watches these forums, and your mailing list. He will come if he wants, can't really predict his what his plans are.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roleplaying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying   Roleplaying Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roleplaying
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Granite Spyre :: Amtgard :: Game Discussion-
Jump to: